This kind of cake is very quick to make (only long baking time in the oven), fluffy, soft, moist and it’s simply difficult to stop yourself from your inside voice “Alright, one more piece…”
So it’s time to grab few simple ingredients and make this fluffy cutie
- 6 eggs, at room temperature, separated egg whites and egg yolks
- 200 gr all purposed flour, sifted
- 25 gr cornstarch, sifted
- 150 gr powdered sugar
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) veggie oil (I used soybean oil)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Notes for you: I found it is easier to separate the eggs when they are not new (like 1-2 days after bought from store) and/or when they are still cold. But if you separate them when they are cold, then let them chill until they are back to room temperature. And do note that the bowl and the whisk of your stand/hand mixer must be completely clean and dry.
- Preheat the oven at 330 degree. Do not grease the pan.
- In one bowl, mix well flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, 3/4 of the sugar
- Then mix in the egg yolks, milk, oil and vanilla extract. Mix until incorporate.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with maximum speed, mix in cream of tartar when it is foamy and has small bubbles. When it has soft peak, mix in the remaining sugar and continue beating it until stiff peak.
- Divide the egg whites into 3 parts. Mix well 1/3 egg whites into the egg yolks mixture.
- Gently fold the egg yolks mixture into the 2/3 egg whites. Do not over-mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. You may want to cover the top by aluminum foil after first 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and turn it upside down. Let it completely cool before remove the cake from the pan.
Last step: Enjoy it dear 🙂
Recipe was adapted from joyofbaking.